Monday 12 April 2010

Sun Stroke Seven

Well I guess I have sunstroke, or there must be something else in the air I can blame. Today marks 7 years since I first published a post as "Ranting Teacher" and yet today, the first day back at school after the Easter holidays, I actually felt full of enthusiasm for teaching.

But then, beginnings are always exciting after the initial Sunday night/ Monday morning funk. I've had time off to relax, read, and catch up with all that stuff that life throws our way but we don't often have time to deal with in term-time (like repeats of A Place in the Sun). Therefore, early start aside, I feel refreshed, and the shining sun helps too. There are new units of work to commence, and my resources are made and ready for use. When they're schemes of work I've had a hand in creating, or there is the flexibility to follow my own interests too, I feel most enthusiastic to get started.

Of course, once the marking starts piling up again, and the students start playing up, and extra hoops to jump through suddenly appear in a couple of weeks, I might not feel so spritely. But this is also a joyful time of year because after an initial flurry of activity it'll be time to wave goodbye to years 11 and 13, and au revoir to year 12, meaning extra PPA time to plan more kick-ass lessons, or just simply stop for a moment and smell the roses. Happy third term everyone!

3 comments:

TeachEnEspanol said...

I completely agree! I love that feeling of coming back to work and realizing that you are really prepared to do what you do best. I feel like I even came back from break with better ideas and more interesting projects. And when you're engaged, it keeps your kids engages, so maybe they'll act better for longer? We can always hope!

NorthernTeacher said...

Welcome back, Ranting Teacher! I thought you'd gone forever ...

Anonymous said...

I'm not a teacher (I have to say thank goodness, as I wouldn't have the patience!) but have just come across your blog and have enjoyed reading it. I have started my own little blog ranting bout various stuff GirlyDiscussions