Thursday 13 December 2007

Quick squeak

In a Year 7 group the kids are still so clingy and needy that they are forever coming up to me mid-lesson to show me what they're doing. They are still in that primary school mode of zooming straight for the bin as soon as they are told they need a pencil, and standing there hypnotically sharpening their pencils until there's a short stub left, albeit with a spiky point of lead.

But there's this one girl whose voice is just so high and squeaky that I just can't hear a word she says. I'm sure I noticed a pack of dogs howling up at my window today as she squeaked away at me as usual...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is it with kids and sharpening pencils? How many teaching hours must be lost each year due to this incessant ritual?

They should all use propelling pencils, that would put a stop to them all gathering round the bins with their sharpeners like moths round the proverbial flame!

Northern Teacher.